Sunday, August 4, 2013

Flip Flop Hanger with Summer Flowers

Flip Flop Hanger with Summer Flowers
I am always looking for something different.  I saw this on the internet and created my own version.  Here is what you need and how I did it. 
 
You will need:
Set of flip flops (don't spend a lot, they will be outside)
Styrofoam - if you are using fake flowers... dirt if you are using real flowers
2 - small plastic cup (use what you have or go to the dollar store)
***make sure you try the cup inside the flip flop to make sure it fits.  You are going to glue it on so it doesn't have to be perfect.. you don't want a large cup and a small flip flop***
Craft moss if you are using fake flowers
Real or fake flowers (You can buy the fake flowers at the dollar store)
Outdoor Ribbon
Gorilla Glue or any Glue that can withstand the weather outdoors

 Steps:
The first thing you need to do is make your cup of flowers.  I used fake flowers so that I didn't need to make sure they are watered.  They always look fresh and perfect.  If you are using fake flowers put some Styrofoam in the cup and put the moss on top. If your cup is opaque make sure your put the moss around the sides so you don't see the Styrofoam. When using real flowers you will need to make sure your cup has holes in the bottom for drainage.  Fill the cup with dirt and plant your real flowers.  Make sure you are using flowers that will do well in the area that you are planting them.

Fit your cup inside the flip flop, use the glue (I used Gorilla Glue) to hold the cup against the flip flop.  Allow it to dry overnight.

I attached mine to lattice so I ran the outdoor ribbon through the lattice and around the flip flop and cup (see picture above).   If you are hanging it on your house or fence just wrap the outdoor ribbon around the cup and flip flop.  You can hammer a nail through the flip flop behind the flowers to hang if necessary.

This has brighten up the area around my outdoor bar.  I love flowers, they bring a smile to my face every time. 

Note:  When making your choice between fake and real flowers, consider the weight of the dirt vs. Styrofoam.  Where you are hanging the planter should also play a part in your decision.
Hope you love the idea... let me know if you have any questions or issues, I would love to help you solve your problem.

Lisa Tredy
simplycreativebylisa@gmail.com















No comments:

Post a Comment